Monday, May 13, 2013

A Golden Getaway: Part 1 (South Korea)


I just returned home from a absolutely fantastic vacation in South Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines that I took from April 25 through May 6. Just a few years ago, I never would have thought to do something like this but I continue to open my mind to what’s possible. I've been fortunate to meet many interesting people whom have truly inspired me to look past perceived limitations and just get out to explore. So this spring, during a period of holidays in Japan called Golden Week (ゴールデンウィーク), I decided to go for it and make a great trip for myself. 

The planning stage was fun, stressful, and filled with uncertainty. Yet I established my basic plan. I would first fly to South Korea, where a 24-hour layover would give me the opportunity to experience Hyongdae, a vibrant region of Seoul, for the first time. Next I’d fly out to Taiwan to see friends and navigate the sights, sounds, and tastes of the country. Lastly, I thought my vacation would finish out nicely if I were to relax in a tropical paradise for a few days and the stunningly beautiful island of Boracay in the Philippines seemed like a good choice for me. Ultimately I planned some aspects of the trip in too much detail, while not nearly enough for other parts (one of many lessons learned).

South Korea--the opportunity to visit Seoul turned out to be a great bonus for me. I didn’t have time to see Hongdae on my last trip there, so this was the perfect chance. Thus I kicked off my trip when I flew into Incheon International Airport on April 25. I took the airport train to Hongdae then dropped my backpack off at a cozy little hostel. Together with the owner and a few guests we ventured over to "meat street," an area packed with dozens of Korean BBQ restaurants. We found a good place for dinner and said cheers with a round of beers to start off the night. We got the grilling started with a popular cut of meat there called samgyeopsal (삼겹살, pork belly meat), deliciously pairing with ssamjang (겹쌈장, a thick, spicy sauce) and a few other tasty ingredients which are to be wrapped in leaves and eaten. After a good meal and good conversation, I separated from the group to explore the nightlife. 

Eating Korean BBQ with new friends

Hongdae is the center of Korean youth culture; walking around you can see endless cafés, shops, art galleries, bars, clubs, and more. A short stroll in this area and one is bound to see street performers, musicians, fashionable young people, old drunk men, and everything in between. During my stroll, I found a small salsa club called, “Havana,” and stopped in for a couple beers and a few dances with the locals. It turned out that this was a group of more serious ballroom-style salsa dancers—intimidating but fun. Later in the night, I came across a dance club interestingly called “Mama Gorilla.” Foreigners got in free and drinks were very cheap so I was all for it. A commentary on Korean dance clubs: crazy, high-energy, and fun. It’s been my experience that everyone is simply not afraid to completely let loose when they go clubbing there to ensure sure they have a great time. When I left on that early weekday morning, the place was still packed and the beats still pounding hard.

Club Havana (left) and Club Mama Gorilla (right), Hongdae, Seoul

The next day I woke up early to leisurely eat breakfast and shower. I packed up my bag and headed to Bukchon Hanok Village, a historical village in Seoul with hundreds of hanok (한옥, traditional Korean houses). This was another place I hadn’t had the chance to visit previously, so I was really happy to see it. I grabbed a quick lunch on the way back to the train station and by early afternoon I was back at the airport for my next flight to Taiwan.

Bukchon Hanok Village, Seoul