Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Brilliant Colors of Autumn in Aomori

Autumn is a special time of the year in Japan. The season of kōyō (紅葉), or changing colors of the leaves, provides one of the best opportunities to truly appreciate the natural beauty of the country. A colorful complement to the white landscape of sakura (桜, cherry blossoms) in the spring, kōyō gives people a chance to experience all of the bold yellows, oranges, and reds of fall. Furthermore, I think living in Aomori where the viewing period is so brief tends to emphasize the importance of cherishing such a pretty season.
Fall Colors around Aomori Prefecture
The changing colors start in mid-September on the northernmost parts of Japan and arrive in the lower regions of the country by late November. In Aomori Prefecture, it starts in late October and finishes in mid-November. Although Kōyō can be seen throughout much of Japan, I feel fortunate to be living in Aomori Prefecture where a great number of excellent viewing spots exist. And even though I've only had the opportunity to see a handful of the best spots in the region, I think I've been able to see a nice variety.

Aomori City - 青森市
A quiet street in the middle of Aomori City (青森市)
The most convenient place for me to see the Fall colors is right in the city where I live. Throughout the year I often cruise around town on my bicycle, and Autumn is no exception.

Mount Hakkoda - 八甲田山
Spectacular views from Mt. Hakkoda
One of the most popular destinations is Mount Hakkoda (八甲田さん) in central Aomori Prefecture. The Hakkoda Ropeway is available to take passengers to the summit for some truly spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and thousands of trees spread throughout. In the winter, the same ropeway is used to take skiers and snowboarders to the top (I'll be sure to write about my own snowboarding experiences later in the year). Public transportation is available from Aomori Station to the Hakkoda Ropeway via JR Bus.

Oirase Gorge - 奥入瀬渓流
Feeling refreshed at Oirase Gorge, just days before the leaves changed
Southeast of Mount Hakkoda is the Towada-Hachimantai National Park (十和田八幡平国立公園). One of the most scenic parts of this is Oirase Gorge (奥入瀬渓流), where a beautiful stretch of river characterized by crisp rapids and various waterfalls flows. Not surprising, it's designated as a National Special Place of Scenic Beauty by the Japanese government. Following the river leads to Lake Towada (十和田湖), a large caldera lake on the border of both Aomori and Akita Prefectures. It's another very nice area to explore. It's worth noting that a main road and walking trails exist alongside the stream; the road makes it very easy to get there but can be potentially distracting while trying to appreciate the natural scenery. Personally, I've never found this to be a huge issue since the sounds of the river and falls do a pretty good job of overpowering traffic noises. To get there by public transit, ride the JR bus bound for Lake Towada from Hachinohe Station or Aomori Station and get off at the Yakeyama stop.

Shirakami Mountain Area (白神山地)
Shirakami mountain area / forest in Fukaura 
Shirakami-sanchi (白神山地, lit. White God Mountain Area) is another special place to visit during the fall--or any other time of the year, for that matter. It's a large area stretching across southwestern Aomori Prefecture and into Akita Prefecture. The central core of the region is comprised of the last virgin beech forests in all of Japan, and has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This protected region is not typically visited by tourists as it requires a permit to enter, but there is plenty of beautiful areas to explore outside of this section. One of the unique features I saw on my recent trip was Aoike (青池, or "Blue Pond"). It's one of many small ponds/lakes in an area of Shirakami called Juniko (十二湖, or "Twelve Lakes"). The pond is famous for it's naturally deep-blue color; I've included a picture  below but it's one of those things you just have to see in person to fully appreciate.


Blue Pond, part of Juniko in Shirakami Sanchi
There are some really impressive views to see in the Shirakami forest area as well. One such view is overlooking the Nihon Canyon (日本キャニオン, "Japan Canyon"), which is said to be like a miniature version of the Grand Canyon in the USA. In the picture below, part the canyon can be seen on the right side and in the distance.


Looking out towards the Nihon Canyon

Nakano-Momiji Mountain (中野紅葉山)
Nakano-Momiji Mountain (中野紅葉山) in Kuroishi City 
The last place I'll talk about here is Nakano Momiji Yama (中野紅葉山), located in eastern Kuroishi. It's another amazing place to see the Fall colors, with hundreds of varieties of Japanese maple trees (もみじ) spread around a small temple and winding river. I had the opportunity to go there at night when the whole area was illuminated by various colored lights. I definitely recommend trying to see kōyō from this perspective (at night) if you get the  chance, as it just "feels" a lot different and the atmosphere is really cool. Unfortunately I haven't been to Nakano-Momiji during the day, but I've heard it's incredible so I'm sure that's worth checking out as well.

Get out there

The more I explore Aomori, the more I realize what a beautiful place it is. Whether it's during the Fall or any other season, traveling around to see all to wonderful spots has become a bit of a growing addiction for me. I hope my photos can showcase some of the beautiful places in Aomori, but I hope it also inspires you to get out and explore wherever you are living too.

Final note
I realize that one of the places I should have included in this post is Hirosaki, since it's right next to Aomori and also has some amazing autumn colors. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to go this year. But still I might update this post later with at least a brief description about it.