Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Nebuta Festival 2014

I was really happy to catch a few days of Aomori's famous Nebuta Festival once more before my official move to Tokyo this year. I've gone every year while living in the city and written about it previously in this blog. However, it felt so different this time around.

I had already moved out of my apartment and had nearly finished everything related to my departure. I felt both accomplished and empty. As I stayed at my friend's place and had no real obligations left at work, I felt like I had pulled my Aomori roots out of the ground and had not yet replanted them. No doubt I was excited to start my new life and relieved to have everything well lined up, but my mood was pretty mellow.

I had participated in the parades as much as possible the previous three years; I took hundreds of photos and didn't miss a single day. This time around, I decided to take it easy and simply watch the event. I took some photos here and there. I met up with a few friends and drank a few beers. It was a very casual affair for me, but I enjoyed it. Though rest assured, I will be joining the festival in full vigor again in the near future.

Boys pulling one of the large Nebuta floats in the parade

Volunteers watch on as a group of dancers jump

Several friends in Japanese yukata enjoying the event