Sunday, October 26, 2014

School Culture Festival - 2014

Students decorated the school entrance for the festival
In the past, I've written about various school events such as undokai and chutairen. But now at my high schools I can also experience bunkasai (文化祭, culture festival). At my schools this takes place every autumn, and is a mostly student-organized event in which they showcase various school clubs and activities through elaborately decorated classrooms and activities, as well as through various performances. Held on the weekend, parents and families attend the festival and have a great time. The students put forth serious effort towards the event, with uncountable hours towards planning, preparation, building and making decorations, practicing performances, etc. The following are some scenes from this year's festival at two of my schools.

Japanese students love dance and are highly skilled to show for it!



The girls hit the stage, performing everything from hip-hop to "girl's pop"
And the boys, who show off some sweet bboy skills
These events are a great way for students to connect with each other
Students show off handmade crafts - here "uchiwa" (Japanese fans)

Fantastic paintings
At my all girl's school, they put on professional-level performances
Pictures don't do it justice; I was seriously blown away by how amazing this was