Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My Sister’s Wedding & Quick Chicago Trip

In June 2014 I made a brief trip back to the US to attend my sister's wedding. So here's a quick post about the wedding and a quick summary of my time back in the States.

Happy Wedding, Liz!

Congratulations to my sister Liz, who got married to Curt Rabinak on June 14th, 2014! 

The wedding ceremony

Although I’m living in Japan, I was fortunate to be able to fly back to Chicago for a few days to see the wedding and spend time with my family. Liz works at a Catholic school in the city, so she had the ceremony at the school’s church and the reception in the school’s banquet hall. I think it was perfect as Liz and her new husband were able to have a lovely wedding day while avoiding the enormous costs that comes with most weddings. It was modest in scale yet full of happiness and grand memories. I hope it’s a day they will never forget.

Everyone enjoying the wedding reception

The wedding also gave me the opportunity to see much of my family. I was finally able to see many aunts, uncles, and cousins whom I hadn’t seen for nearly a decade. I got to see my cheerful grandmother, Nana, who loves so much to hear about my adventures in Japan. I was also able to catch up with my stepsister, and her little son who seems to be growing up very quickly these days.

A picture with my awesome grandmother


To Liz and Curt, I wish you guys a long and happy future together. Thanks for inviting me to your wedding, it was very nice and I hope you'll keep these cherished memories for many years to come.

Chicago / Crystal Lake

Since I started my blog, I don't believe I've ever talked much about my home in the US, so I thought I would just mention it here. During this trip, I came back primarily for my sister's wedding as I wrote about above, but it was also nice to stay a few days at my old home.


My home in Crystal Lake, IL

Usually when I first meet people in Japan, I just say I'm from Chicago because it's a lot easier that way. But to be more accurate, I live in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago in a small city called Crystal Lake. Although I do love the city life, as I'm currently living in Tokyo, I still miss the quiet, peaceful atmosphere back home. Life seems to pass a lot more slowly there; and I never realized how much I could enjoy that until I made these short trips back. 


Having a deck and backyard like this is so nice

Going back home during this past trip also reminded me of just how different it is than Japan. Here were some of the most noticeable things in my experience back in (middle-class suburban) America:

- massive grocery stores, huge selection, cashiers often get angry if you pay with coins
- people's greetings are much more casual compared to Japanese
- people are much taller on average... and yes, 'bigger'
- kids drive much nicer cars than I ever remember (I was surprised!)
- lots of sugary foods everywhere, huge portion sizes
- pickup trucks are enormous, minivans are still dorky (Japan's minivans are cool)
- driving on the Chicago tollways feels like a scene out of the Fast and the Furious
- lots more green space, more trees, more grass, more parks
- soccer moms! I never see soccer moms in Japan!