Sunday, June 1, 2014

School Sports Recap - Undokai & Chutairen 2014

Two of my favorite yearly school events are undokai ("Sports Day") and chutairen ("Junior High School Athletic Tournament"). I wrote in detail about these in my blog last year (see links), but I still wanted to publish a short photo summary for this year.

The pair of events were not so different than previous years. Teachers and students spent a significant amount of time to prepare in advance. Everything went smoothly and there were no big surprises. During undokai, students made great efforts to compete individually, between classes, and between grades at their school as their parents cheered from the sides of the sports field. In regards to this year's chutairen, where my school's students competed against other schools in the city, there were successes and failures, and cheers and tears. Although similar to last year, they were just as enjoyable. And further, they were to be the final chances I had to watch as a teacher of the school since my departure from Aomori was fast approaching. Without further ado, let's get to the pictures!

Koda JHS Undokai


Students preparing and setting up before the event
One of many the many races to take place

Students work hard but seem to really enjoy their Sports Day
One of several quirky competitions


Harder than it looks, I think
A few boys watch as the chaos of tug-of-war ensues
Relay races are held towards the end of the day
Students excitedly cheer on their teammates

Chutairen



The start of the opening ceremony
Participating students (athletes) from each school march during the ceremony
=
Boys kendo

Students are very loud while dueling, it often surprises me
After kendo, I stopped by the baseball fields for awhile

Girl's bball won their first game, but lost the second in a close game
Students who don't participate in sports still cheer for their classmates


My school's strongest sports club, volleyball, won first place again this year!
And with the selection of pictures above, I'm going to finish this post and hopefully get a little closer to getting myself up to date with my blog! If you are reading this, I hope you enjoyed the pictures and thanks for checking it out.