Monday, November 3, 2014

October Highlights (Part 1): Nakano Central Park Event

October was the month in which I finally started to really get settled into my new life here in Tokyo. During the first few months, my money was so tight that I simply couldn't afford to go out much and explore. The weather was generally very good in October, so I tried to spend a lot of time outside even if it was just walking around my neighborhood.

Nakano "Bustling Four Seasons Forest Park" Event


A lively and fun atmosphere at Nakano Central Park 

One warm afternoon early in the month, I went for a casual walk to a nearby park. As I got closer I noticed a growing number of people heading in the same direction, and I knew something was going on. It turned out to be a pretty cool festival, called the Nakano Shikinomori Koen Nigiwai Event (中野四季の森公園にぎわいイベント). Nakano is the name of this part of Tokyo (one of Tokyo's special wards); shikinomori koen is the name of the park and translates to "Four Seasons Forest Park;" and nigiwai basically means "bustling" or "lively." It's actually a bit confusing because the larger park area is actually called Nakano Central Park (中野セントラルパーク).

Very cool to see: an older couple dancing salsa like no one is watching
I was seriously surprised to randomly come across this event without knowing about it, but nevertheless I definitely enjoyed it! It really was bustling; the park always has a very nice atmosphere as it's a prime destination for young families with kids. Whether there's an event or nothing special, I love going to this park just to see all the happy kids running around and playing games.


A young girl walking with her balloons bobbling behind her

The event spanned two days and featured a wide assortment of food, entertainment, music, and all the other festival things you'd expect. There are often various events at the park, but I think this must be one of the major ones each year; it wouldn't surprise me if this was the most popular local community event of the year. The website I linked to above has details about the performances and various vendors, but here's a few more pictures of the event below.


A small skate park was set up near the station and park

Music performances went on through the night